Chelmsford Massage Practice – Chill Out, Relax, And Have Some me Time
Deep Tissue Massage
Conditions We Help With
- Muscle pain
- Muscular problems like strains, sprains and frozen shoulder and tennis elbow
- Lymphatic drainage
How Can We Help?
- Reduces less pain in achy muscles
- Increases flexibility by lengthening muscle fibres
- Breaks down scar tissues and knots in the muscles to allow them to contract and relax properly
- Relieves tension
- Allows you time for yourself to recharge
- Sports massage
- Swedish massage
- Injury prevention massage techniques
- Relaxing massage
- Pregnancy massage
How Does It work?
What is a sports massage?
A sports massage is a type of massage therapy that is specifically designed to help individuals recover from physical activity or injury. It typically involves deeper pressure and more intense techniques than a traditional relaxation massage and focuses on addressing areas of the body that are prone to tension, stress, and injury.
Sports massages use a variety of techniques:
- Effleurage: Long, sweeping strokes that warm up the muscles and prepare them for deeper work.
- Petrissage: Kneading and squeezing of the muscles to promote blood flow and loosen tight muscles.
- Cross Friction: Small movements that break down adhesions and scar tissue.
- Trigger point therapy: The application of pressure to specific points on the body to release tension and reduce pain.
Sports massage therapists may also use stretching and joint mobilisation techniques to improve range of motion and flexibility.
Sports massage can help to improve circulation, reduce muscle soreness and stiffness, and enhance range of motion and flexibility. It may also help to prevent injuries by identifying and addressing areas of the body that are at risk for strain or overuse
Can I exercise after a sports massage?
Can you have a sports massage when pregnant?
It is generally safe to have a sports massage during pregnancy, but it is important to check with your healthcare provider first to ensure that it is appropriate for your individual needs and health status, and to ensure that the massage therapist has a pregnancy massage qualification and relevant experience with pregnant patients. Together with the massage therapist, you can decide if a deep tissue or more gentle approach is needed.
**Whilst there is no direct link with massage impacting mother or baby, we would not recommend any type of massage in the first 3 months/trimester of pregnancy**.
Does a sports massage hurt?
Sports massage can be tender at times, especially if you are new to massage or have areas of tension or injury in your body. This is because sports massage typically involves deeper pressure and more intense techniques than a traditional relaxation massage.
However, it is important to communicate openly with your massage therapist about the pressure level you prefer during a massage.
It is normal to experience some mild soreness or tenderness in the treated areas after a sports massage, but this should typically subside within a day or two. It is important to drink plenty of water and engage in gentle stretching or movement after the massage to help flush out toxins and promote healing in the muscles.
If you have any concerns or questions about the potential discomfort of a sports massage, it is always good to speak with your massage therapist or a qualified healthcare professional before scheduling your appointment.
Does sports massage improve performance?
Sports massage has been seen to improve performance in athletes by helping to enhance circulation, reduce muscle soreness and tension, improve range of motion and flexibility, and promote overall physical and mental relaxation.
By increasing circulation, sports massage can help to deliver more oxygen and nutrients to the muscles, which can improve energy levels, endurance, and recovery time. By reducing muscle soreness and tension, it can also help to prevent injuries and support optimal performance.
Sports massage can also help to promote mental relaxation and reduce stress, which can be beneficial for athletes who may experience performance anxiety or other psychological challenges.
However, the degree to which sports massage can improve performance may depend on the type of sport or activity, the level of physical fitness and training, and the frequency and intensity of massages. While some athletes may see significant improvements in their performance as a result of sports massage, others may experience more modest benefits.
We help you to develop a bespoke treatment plan that is tailored to your specific needs and goals.
How does sports massage complement other therapies and treatments?
Yes, Sports massage can complement a wide range of other therapies, for example, chiropractic care. Sports massage works alongside chiropractic adjustments to help reduce muscle tension, break down scar tissue and increase flexibility, which can support in the bodies healing of nerve and joint related problems. It can also be used alongside acupuncture to enhance circulation, promote relaxation, and support overall health and well-being.
Sports massage can be useful after some surgeries, by helping to promote healing and the breaking down of scar tissue.
By combining sports massage with other therapies patients often report faster benefits and longer lasting results than they would with any one modality alone. At Inspired Health we develop a comprehensive treatment plan that is tailored to your individual needs and goals, so you can get the best results possible.
How does sports massage reduce pain and stress?
Sports massage can help to reduce pain and stress in several ways:
- Increases circulation: Sports massage helps to increase circulation throughout the body, which can help to deliver more oxygen and nutrients to the muscles and other tissues and remove waste products such as lactic acid. This can help to reduce muscle soreness and tension and promote healing and recovery.
- Releases tension and knots: Sports massage uses techniques such as deep tissue massage, trigger point therapy, and myofascial release to release tension and knots in the muscles and connective tissues. This can help to reduce pain and discomfort, improve range of motion, and promote relaxation.
- Promotes relaxation: Sports massage can help to promote physical and mental relaxation by stimulating the parasympathetic nervous system, which is responsible for the body’s rest and digest response. This can help to reduce stress, anxiety, and other negative emotions, and promote overall feelings of calm and well-being.
- Releases endorphins: Sports massage can help to stimulate the release of endorphins, which are natural painkillers produced by the body. This can help to reduce pain and discomfort and promote feelings of pleasure and well-being.
Overall, sports massage can be a powerful tool for reducing pain and stress and promoting overall health and well-being.
How long is a sports massage?
The length of a sports massage can vary depending on several factors, including the injury, diagnosis, and goals of the individual, the techniques used by the massage therapist, and the available time for the session.
Typically, sports massages range from 30 minutes to 60 minutes in length.
How much is a sports massage?
£36 for 30 minutes
£72 for 1 hour
How often should I get a sports massage?
The frequency of sports massage can vary depending on your activity levels, injury, diagnosis, training regimen or hobbies, stress levels, and overall health and wellbeing goals. In general, however, many people find that regular sports massage can help to improve performance, prevent injuries, and promote overall physical and mental well-being.
The optimal frequency of sports massage will depend on your individual needs and goals, but some general guidelines include:
- Maintenance/Wellbeing Care: If you are generally healthy and active, and are looking to maintain your physical health and well-being, you may benefit from a sports massage once every 4 weeks
- Injury prevention: If you are training for a specific event or activity, or have a history of injuries or chronic pain, you may benefit from more frequent sports massage sessions, such as once a week/every 2 weeks, to help prevent injuries and maintain optimal physical function.
- Injury recovery: If you are recovering from a nerve irritation, joint problem, injury or surgery, your massage therapist may recommend more frequent sessions to help promote healing and reduce pain and inflammation.
How to prepare for a sports massage?
To prepare for a sports massage, you can take the following steps:
- Hydrate: Drink plenty of water before your appointment to ensure that your body is well-hydrated. This can help to improve circulation and promote relaxation.
- Avoid heavy meals: Try to avoid eating a heavy meal before your appointment, as this can make you feel uncomfortable.
- Dress appropriately: Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing that allows you to move freely. Avoid wearing jewelry or other accessories that may interfere with the massage.
- Arrive on time: Arrive on time for your appointment to allow yourself time to check in and relax before the session. Rushing can create stress and tension that may affect the results of your massage.
- Communicate during the massage: During the massage, communicate openly with your therapist about any tension you may be experiencing, the pressure you prefer, as well as any areas that you would like the therapist to focus on.
By following these steps, you can help to ensure that you get the most out of your sports massage and enjoy a relaxing and therapeutic experience.
Is sports massage good for lower back pain?
Yes, sports massage can be very beneficial for lower back pain. Lower back pain is a common complaint, and it can be caused by a variety of factors, including a trauma, poor posture, repetitive activities, joint restrictions, nerve irritation, muscle tension, and injuries.
Sports massage can help to alleviate lower back pain by:
- Reducing muscle tension: Sports massage can help to release tension in the muscles of the lower back, which can help to alleviate pain and stiffness.
- Improving circulation: Massage can help to improve blood flow and oxygenation to the muscles and tissues of the lower back, which can promote healing and reduce inflammation.
- Increasing flexibility: Massage can help to improve range of motion and flexibility in the muscles of the lower back, which can help to reduce pain and stiffness.
- Promoting relaxation: Massage can help to reduce stress and tension, which can contribute to lower back pain.
What does a sports massage do?
A sports massage is a type of massage therapy that is specifically designed to help people improve their performance, prevent injuries, and promote overall physical and mental well-being. Some of the benefits of sports massage include:
- Reducing muscle tension: Sports massage can help to release tension in the muscles, which can help to alleviate pain and stiffness, improve flexibility, and reduce the risk of injury.
- Improving circulation: Massage can help to improve blood flow and oxygenation to the muscles and tissues, which can promote healing and reduce inflammation.
- Increasing range of motion: Massage can help to improve range of motion and flexibility in the muscles, which can help to reduce pain and stiffness.
- Enhancing athletic performance: Massage can help to improve athletic performance by reducing muscle fatigue, increasing energy, and promoting mental focus and relaxation.
- Preventing injuries: Sports massage can help to prevent injuries by identifying areas of tension or weakness in the muscles, and addressing them before they develop into more serious problems.
- Break down Scar Tissue: Increasing healing times post injury
- Promoting relaxation: Massage can help to reduce stress and tension, which can contribute to a variety of physical and mental health issues.
Overall, sports massage can be a valuable tool for anyone looking to improve their physical performance and well-being.
What to wear to a sports massage?
When going for a sports massage, it is important to wear comfortable and loose-fitting clothing that allows you to move freely. Here are some tips on what to wear:
- Sports clothing: Wear comfortable clothing such as shorts, yoga pants, or leggings. This type of clothing is designed to be flexible and breathable, which can help you move more easily during the massage.
- Avoid restrictive clothing: Avoid wearing tight or restrictive clothing such as jeans. These types of clothing can restrict your movement and make it difficult for the massage therapist to massage areas of your body that need attention.
- Remove jewelry: Remove any jewelry or accessories that may get in the way during the massage. This includes watches, bracelets, necklaces, and earrings.
- Bring a change of clothes: If you are receiving a full body massage, you may want to bring a change of clothes to wear after the massage, as some massage oils or lotions can absorb into clothing.
- Wear comfortable shoes: Wear shoes that are easy to slip on and off, as you may need to remove them before the massage.
Overall, the goal is to wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing that allows you to move freely and allows the massage therapist to access the areas of your body that need attention.