Did you know that April is national Move More Month?
Whether you are working from home or getting out and about, squeezing more movement into your daily routine is an easy and simple way to up your fitness without too much extra effort.
Sitting or lying down for extended periods increases your risk for chronic health issues such as heart disease, diabetes and even some cancers. Eek!
What’s The Problem with Sitting Down? 🤷🏻♂️
We all know that being sedentary for too long has a huge impact on our overall health. Sitting or lying down for extended periods increases your risk for chronic health issues such as heart disease, diabetes and even some cancers. Eek! ☹️
Too much sitting is also bad for your mental health – both anxiety and depression are linked to being seated for too long. And we wouldn’t want that 👆🏻
As human beings, we are built to stand upright. Our hearts, cardiovascular systems, and bowel functions work more effectively when we’re standing ❤️ So, getting up and about is very important and not as hard as you may think it is. There are plenty of simple ways to include physical activity in your day. Here are some of our top suggestions 🤔
1) Get in the mood to move
Whether it be joining a local walking group 👌🏻, checking out a spinning class 🚴🏻♀️ at your gym, or looking for a nearby yoga studio 🧘🏻♂️, it is important that you find an activity that makes you happy. After all, the last thing we would want for you is to feel that getting active is a drag and that you don’t want to do it for long.
2) It doesn’t have to cost you money
The best and most simple ways to get moving are by either walking, running, or cycling. Not only are these activities free 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻, but they’re also fantastic for your health. Taking part in these forms of exercise promotes heart health, mental health and boosts your immune system 💪🏻 They can also help you lose weight or maintain a healthy weight. And, lastly, running, walking, and cycling improves your stamina, extends your lifespan, and can even prevent chronic illness and disease 🙂
3) It doesn’t have to cost you time
While walking, cycling and running are fantastic but we understand that there isn’t always the time to get this kind of exercise in 😫. Life gets in the way, washing piles up, and your to-do list is endless. We hear you!
Simple things that you can do while you are at home are:
· Get some cleaning in – Yes, cleaning 🧼 burns calories. Not only do we get our joints moving and hearts pumping, but we also give the house a spruce up.
· Do some moves while the kettle boils – You can run 🏃🏻♂️ on the spot for 30 seconds, read while standing up, do some lunges or even do a few simple yoga poses.
· Balance while brushing your teeth – Stand on one leg while you brush your teeth 😁 and build strength and help balance. All while we are cleaning our pearl whites.
· Do a desk work out 🏋🏻♂️ – Rolling your shoulders, turning your head from side to side and bringing your knees to your chest keeps the blood flowing and stops us stiffening up.
· Dance like nobody is watching – One of the best ways to get moving and feeling good is to put those earphones in, crank up the beat, and let your hips do their thing 💃🏻 🕺🏻
Everyone loves progress, so monitoring your activity can motivate you to do more. Use a tracker, app, or smartphone 📱 to measure your steps, how far you have walked/cycled or how many calories you have burned. You will be surprised how a little more movement makes a difference.
No matter how you get moving, just know that you are making a commitment to yourself 🏆 and there is truly no better investment you could make. You’ve got this! And we are with you all the way!